How to Apply
An application form is available for download - Application form
Before doing so, however, we strongly recommend that you read our Admissions and Welcome Policy and Place Offer Timetable (below).
The following is a statement from the City of Edinburgh Council:
"Additional Support Needs:
An additional support need comes from anything which is a barrier to learning. The education authority has many legal duties towards children with additional support needs. Information about this is contained in a booklet called In On The Act: Information For The General Public which is published on the education authority website at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/inontheact - or contact the additional support for learning team on telephone number 469 3444."
Admissions and Welcome Policy and Procedures
Blackhall Nursery is in partnership with the City of Edinburgh Council Children and Families Department to provide free pre-and ante-pre-school early years education.
In meeting its standards of care, Blackhall Nursery follows the Scottish Social Services Council Codes of Practice for Employers of Social Service Workers and Social Service Workers.
We are a community nursery, managed by a volunteer Parent Committee and Board of Directors.
We employ a staff team of excellent early years professionals to run the Nursery on a day-to-day basis.
We aim to be a centre of excellence in the provision of a happy learning-through-play environment.
Places, The Waiting List and Applications
- Blackhall Nursery offers children either a morning or an afternoon place of five 3 hour 10 minute sessions per week, term-time only. We do not offer part-time places.
- Application forms are available from the Nursery or can be downloaded from this website - see pdf link above. Applications can be submitted only on or after your child's second birthday. Forms should be returned to the Waiting List Secretary, Blackhall Nursery, Ravelston Park Pavilion, Ravelston Park, Craigcrook Road, Edinburgh EH4 3RU.
- We charge a non-refundable administration fee of £5 which should be enclosed with your application form - please make cheques payable to Blackhall Nursery. This fee is purely to cover costs (administration time, photocopying, postage, stationery, phone calls, etc.)
- Applications will be treated on a first-come, first-served basis, with the exceptions detailed below. You should receive an acknowledgement of your application within two weeks. Please contact the Waiting List Secretary as soon as possible if this acknowledgement does not arrive.
- Because we are trying to meet a specific need for a pre-school catchment nursery feeding into Blackhall Primary School, priority may be given to children who live in the Blackhall catchment, as defined by the City of Edinburgh Council’s Children and Families Department, or to those with siblings at Blackhall Primary.
- Pre-school children will be given priority over ante-pre-school children.
- Because we depend on a per capita grant from the Council, we require your place at Blackhall Nursery to be your sole funded place i.e. you may not also have a funded place either at a local authority nursery or at a partner provider private nursery. We do not accept fees. The Council have introduced a PIN number system and you must advise the Nursery of this PIN number each term within 2 weeks of the date of issue so that we may access the funding necessary to provide the place.
- When we are able to offer your child a Nursery place, you will be notified by post in the term prior to the August/September start. If a place becomes available during the course of the year, we will contact you first by phone, then in writing, to offer the place.
- Once you accept a place for your child, further information will be sent to you about open days, start dates etc.
- If you decide not to accept a place offer at this stage, but wish to keep your child's name on the waiting list, your request must be submitted in writing along with a non-refundable administration fee of £5.
- If you are offered a place at Blackhall Nursery for your child, but decide to turn it down and remain on the waiting list, please note that your child will only be offered a place after the start of the academic year if there is no other eligible child on the waiting list.
- Please note that the Nursery has one waiting list for all places, and does not distinguish between morning and afternoon places.
The Welcome, Familiarisation Visits and Settling In
- Blackhall Nursery welcomes all children regardless of ability, race or gender.
- We will endeavour to cater appropriately for children with additional support needs, in consultation with parents, carers and relevant agencies. Children with additional support needs may be given priority in the allocation of Nursery places, as may children whose first language is not English.
- We hope to make your child’s settling in process a smooth one by offering the following opportunities:
- At least one Open Day before the start of Nursery (usually in May)
- At least one Meet the Staff session (usually in June)
- Staggered start dates so that small numbers of children start together
- The opportunity for you to stay with your child until s/he is settled
- The opportunity for your child to ease gradually into Nursery by staying for a shorter period that the 3 hours 10 minutes initially
- Regular consultation with staff to establish good settling-in practice between the parent/carer, the child and staff, as appropriate.
We look forward to welcoming you and your child(ren) to Blackhall Nursery.
Notes: - These are for your guidance and information only
- Usual practice, based on the Waiting List, is that pre-school children are offered either a morning or an afternoon place and three year olds (ante-pre-schoolers) are offered afternoon places.
- A place at Blackhall Nursery does not guarantee you a place at Blackhall Primary School. Those who live within the Blackhall School catchment apply directly to the school in the November prior to the year in which your child is due to start school. Those who live outwith the catchment must make a separate application to the Council for a place. Nursery staff will advise you on procedures.
- Children with January/February birthdays may currently choose to have a deferred entry place at school. This means you may wish to apply for an extra pre-school year at Blackhall Nursery. Staff will advise you on procedures for this too.
Place Offer Timetable
We start the place offer process before Easter in order to give parents as much visibility as possible. Place offers will be made in March to the first batch of children on the waiting list with a 2 week window for replies. Once the responses have been received, another batch of places will be offered and this process will continue until all available spaces have been filled.
Parents are asked not to contact the Nursery to ask about places until after the end of April as we will not be able to give you any useful information before that point.
N.B. Due to the large number of children on the waiting list who are eligible for a pre-school place in 2015-16 we may not be able to offer places to children who are not in the catchment area or to 3-year old children, so parents are advised to apply to more than one setting as a precaution.
Help with finding child care
The Care Inspectorate website www.scswis.com offers a list of registered child minders in your area and also provides access to inspection reports and quality grading. On the Care Inspectorate home page select "Find a service in your area", then from the drop down list under "Type of Service" select "Child Minding".